Monday, January 12, 2009

Great day @ school!


Bouquetiere 3, originally uploaded by FinasZ.

So after a nice weekend of rest, I had class again this morning, it was quite early but I had a good feeling about today. The morning was quite chilly and when I got into the car, Josh my classmate told me that wed and thurs were going to be insanely cold! So off we went to school, traffic is usually pretty bad these days since the bus is still on strike. But we surprisingly got to school pretty quickly, it took about 20 mins to get there. The last time we went it took about 45 mins or more, the traffic was barely moving, almost as bad as the DVP in Toronto.

So got to school, changed, went to the demonstration class, again learned quite a few new french words for words we already knew in english. Watching the chef cook is quite amazing, he slices and dices each piece of vegetable with great speed and precision. Even the speed that he manages to pull off with cooking a few dishes while teaching us how to do this or that.

Two hours or so after, I had my third practical class, I must say today was a lot better day than friday. On friday I pretty much bombed the practical class and was kinda discouraged. Today however I felt like I was going to concentrate on the work ahead, trying to do everything as perfect as I can but at the same time actually completing the work as well. Class rolled on and I was doing amazing, I was turning; carrots, turnips, artichokes and I also cut carrots turnips and green beans in burnoise style. Again two hours pretty much flashed by like it was only 30 mins or less. Today however, I managed to plate my food and have everything done. I was quite proud of myself for being able to finish everything on time and have extra time to be cleaning up my station.

After class we're always suppose to present our dishes to the chef, so he can taste it and give you a evaluation on how your did. When it was my turn, the chef tasted my food one by one and gave me a response after each tasting. My results were; the carrots were a bit over cooked, so were the turnips, the green beans were a bit undercooked, the artichoke could have been cooked a bit less, but the peas and the cauliflower were cooked perfectly. Even tho I had some bad points, the fact that he said the peas and cauliflower were cooked perfectly, it made my day. Having done something right, my self confidence and morale was boosted back up!! When he was done, I walked back to my station with a big grin, and now as I write this blog I'm still grinning. Today has been a great day, the morning was a little chilly, but at the end of the day, it was clear blue skies with the sun shining bright.


Below is the chef's version of the Bouquetiere

Demo 01.11.09 6


As you can see I still need work on my turned vegetables, mine don't look footballish enough yet.

5 comments:

  1. Heh, already better than what I can do. Looks like fun to be honest.

    Glad you're doing well so far though. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Dave :D. I'm glad you got some good marks on your veggies ^^. Now COOK ME SOMETHING TO EAT! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do u actually get 2 eat all the stuff u make or what do u do with the food???

    ReplyDelete
  4. EM:yea I do get to eat everything and I can take it all home too if I want to

    Momo: AFTER YOU MAKE ME PHO!

    CWOlf: :D thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...cooking is like sculpture!

    ReplyDelete