Sunday, February 1, 2009

Grilled salmon!


Salmon grille, sauce bearnaise, originally uploaded by FinasZ.

Ok I was too tired to actually sit in front of my computer and type up the blog. Didn’t do it the night before either because was preparing food for the UFC fight party, which GSP DOMINATED! So yea on with what new recipe I had learned on Friday, we learned more sauces and this nice grilled salmon recipe. The sauces we learned were all emulsion type sauces; the two types of emulsion sauces are stable and unstable. The main recipe that we learned and had to reproduce in class was the Salmon grille, sauce béarnaise. Which is made up of grilled salmon, a béarnaise sauce and some turned potatoes. The dish itself isn’t too hard to make, the salmon was a bit weird for me to prepare because of the silver skin. I wasn’t sure where I should be cutting and how, every time I did make a cut it somehow cut some of the skin off too, which I though was weird. I also had some problems with turning potatoes; it wasn’t going as perfectly as I wanted. Those two tasks took me the longest time out of everything I had to do in class. The rest of the recipe was quite straight forward, making a white wine vinegar reduction, clarifying some butter and then combining it all to create the sauce béarnaise. I also learned that for every egg yolk, you should always add a certain amount of liquid, which is 1 yolk to half an egg shell full of liquid. We also learned how to filet salmon, I didn’t get to tackle it but from the looks of my classmates, it looked a bit hard. For grilling the salmon, I’m not sure if I didn’t oil the fish enough, or the grill top wasn’t oiled down enough, but even after letting it sear it stuck to the grill top and flaked a bit. I also seemed to have overcooked the salmon which made it begin to flake and break apart which isn’t a good thing. Other than that everything was alright, nothing too horribly bad.

After getting home from school on Friday night, I was so very tired and pretty much didn’t do much and slept from 12 or 1am all the way till 11am the next day. (It was a great sleep) Saturday was a good day though, got up at 11am, had breakfast and went out with Andrew to do some last minute shopping for the UFC fight night. I learned that non open fire grills are bad for cooking irregular shaped meat, since all the sides don’t cook at the same time. Dat, Natalia, John and John’s friend Valerie, came over as well to enjoy the fight and food. John came over and made some brownies he learned in class. Dat helped me out with making a pork shoulder roast (which turned out looking really nice) and help me out with the chicken kabobs which in the end we took all the wooden skewers out. I also made some baked sausage with carrots and red onions, along side of pork chops and chicken drumsticks. Andrew made bacon wrapped water chest nuts which are really good, a bit salty with a nice crunch. The rest of the night was just fun, we watched the fight, played some rock bank, played random board games and drank lots of alcohol. (mmmmm at jagerbombs) The main fight GSP Vs BJP was AWESOME! GSP dominated the entire fight, after the first round it was over for BJP. But before I get off topic more, today Sunday (which is super bowl Sunday) I am making some dry rubbed ribs and hamburgers.


From top to bottom
Mayonnaise, Remoulade, chantilly, Gribiche

Sauces 1


From left to right
Bearaise, Toyrolienne, Hollandaise

Sauces 2

No comments:

Post a Comment